No personally identifiable information is automatically collected about visitors who simply browse the COIL web site or who download information from it. Personal information is gathered only when a visitor knowingly provides such specific information on a voluntary basis. Personal information will not be disclosed to outside parties unless visitors were advised otherwise at the point and time of collection or the City is required to under legislation or by the Government of Canada or the Province of Ontario.
The City’s web server logs visitor activity to help manage the website. Information stored in logs does not identify visitors personally.
We are constantly improving coil.eco to make it useful to you. In order to do this, we gather statistics about which pages you visit while on the website. These statistics help us track the number of visitors and determine where to put information so it is easier to find.
We gather this information by placing a temporary file, called a “cookie”, on your hard drive.
This cookie does not collect any information we could use to identify you, such as your name, address, email address or phone number. It collects information such as:
- Your IP address (a series of numbers that are automatically assigned to your computer when you go online).
- The type of web browser and operating system you use.
- The date and time you visited the site.
- Which pages you visited.
- The order you visited the pages.
- How long you spent on each page.
- The page you entered the site on.
- The last page you looked at before you left.
Third party cookies
When visiting our site, your browser may receive longer-term cookies from Google, a third party. Consequently, Google may track your online activities across other websites.
If you are concerned about cookies you can adjust your web browser settings to reject them. This, however, may impact your use of City websites and services. Please consult your browser settings (and browser plugins) which allow you to configure whether and how you receive cookies.
The City collects and analyzes website usage data strictly for internal purposes. We do not sell, rent, exchange, or otherwise disclose any information that we collect about our website visitors to third parties, except as required by law.
Site ownership and operation
Coil.eco is owned and operated by the Corporation of the City of Guelph. The site is coordinated and maintained by Information Technology (IT) and the Smart Cities Office.
Every effort is made to ensure the information on the coil.eco web site is timely and accurate however information should be verified independently before being used or relied on. All information is provided on an “as is” basis without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, statutory or otherwise. The City does not warrant or make any representations as to the quality, content, accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links and other items contained on its web site. The City makes no warranties, express or implied as to the fitness of the information for any purpose, or to results obtained by individuals using the information and is not responsible for any action taken in reliance on the information contained herein. Material is provided as general information only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice for any individual and should not be relied upon in that regard.
Communications made through the coil.eco web site email and messaging system is for convenience only and shall not be deemed to constitute legal notice to the City or any of its officers, agents, agencies, employees or representatives with respect to any existing or potential claim or cause of actions or for any other purpose unless the web site states otherwise or unless the law expressly provides otherwise.
COIL’s web site contains links to other web sites that meet the following criteria:
- Official government site (i.e. Federal, Provincial, Municipal and government-funded agencies, boards, local government associations, local elected officials.)
- A site which is deemed to be of interest to our visitors, and is in keeping with the City’s Mission Statement, Vision and Core Values (i.e. businesses, organizations or community groups).
- Prospective sites will be reviewed to ensure that, in the sole opinion and discretion of the City they are in keeping with the above criteria. The City reserves the right to accept or deny any requests for references to or links to third party sites. The City is not responsible for, and does not endorse, the information on any linked website unless he COIL website states otherwise.